Llano, Texas was founded in 1855, on the clear, spring-fed Llano River.
The town of Llano, Texas became the county seat in 1856. Well established by 1860 with stores, saloons and a hotel, there was no church in the rough frontier Llano. The Llano, Texas courthouse dates back to 1892.
Llano, Texas the present farm-ranch community, bills itself the “Deer Capital of Texas” and hosts many hunters seeking abundant white-tailed deer during the fall-winter season. Llano, Texas visitors enjoy year-round fishing in the picturesque Llano River and nearby Highland Lakes. The entire downtown Llano, Texas square is designated a National Historic District.
Llano, Texas has become home to many world champion team ropers, and hosts rodeo events attracting participants and spectators from all around the state.
An entertaining and educational walking tour is sure to interest visitors to Llano, Texas.
Camping and picnicking are available at all Llano city-county parks. Some have RV hookups, lake and pool swimming, fishing, boat ramps, playgrounds, an 18-hole golf course, hiking trails, and scenic views. Black Rock and Shaw Island Parks are on Lake Buchanan. Robinson City Park is on the Llano River. The Llano County Community Center (park) is on the west edge of Llano.
Just south of Llano, Texas is Enchanted Rock State Park is a massive dome of solid granite famed in Indian legend. It is said to be the site of human sacrifices. Some tribes feared to set foot upon it. Others used height as a rallying point. All held it in awe and reverence. Indians believed that ghost fires flickered on the crest on moonlit nights. It covers about 640 acres, and is 500 feet high. It is open year round. Call 915/247-3903 in Llano, Texas for more information.
Llano County Museum
General county historical displays are housed in this refurbished old-time drug store. It is open Jun. – Aug. 10 a.m. – noon, 1 – 5 p.m. except Mon. It is open Sept. – May Fri. – Sun. 1:15 – 5:15 p.m. It is on the north end of the Llano River bridge, on Texas 16, in Llano, Texas.