Welcome to New Braunfels, Las Fontanas, Comal Springs in the heart of Texas
The springs predate history as the Tonkawas Indians had been visiting them from time immemorial. The Spanish renamed them Las Fontanas in 1691 and still later Prince Carl Solms-Braunfels renamed the area in homage to a Provence in his homeland of Austria-Germany. It is no wonder so many people are attracted to the region given that it is the largest discharge spring of the Edwards Aquifer and at the feet of the spectacular Texas Hill Country.
In 1845 Prince Solms-Braunfels landed here with four hundred and thirty-nine hardy souls to form the spearhead settlement of a new German colony in Texas. Within fifteen years that colony stretched a hundred miles east and west with more than thirty thousand colonist both German and Irish which informs this region's cultural heritage.
In light of this heritage and in the face of loosing some of the historical buildings the Conservation Society was formed in 1967. The Lindheimer House which was home of the Father of Texas Botany, Ferdinand Jacob Lindheimer, and the publisher of the local German newspaper was the first project and is now a registered National Landmark. His editorial stance on States Rights prompted seven hundred fellow citizens to join the Confederacy in support of that cause.
After that first project word spread and local businessmen began donating older structures, if they were moved to an appropriate site, and three plus acres donated by the Dillens formed the basis of the now restored Conservation Plaza.
Conservation Plaza is formed as a late nineteenth century stylized village. The village has an office building, bodega, log barn, pole barn, general store and music studio, newspaper and billiard room, cabinet shop, garage/livery, school several family homes, outhouse, log smokehouse and Rose Conservatory. The buildings are restored with original furnishings and open to the public. In addition, the one-room school house, Church Hill School is located on its original site across the street from the in the Plaza.
Come walk the streets of Old New Braunfels and enjoy the Big-sky beauty of Las Fontanas in the Texas Hill Country.
Bed & Breakfast
For a memorable getaway, stay in our Gerlich-Wagenfuehr Bed and Breakfast in downtown New Braunfels. This 1858 home has been restored to give you modern comfort while retaining its historic character. The layout offers a large living room, dining room, sitting room, bedroom, and bath. Appliances include a microwave, small refrigerator, coffee pot, and a TV/VCR. Guests enjoy a continental breakfast or vouchers for local restaurants. Accommodates up to 4 guests! This is the perfect retreat for Winter Texans. Please visit our Facebook Page.