Blanco is on U.S. road 281, twelve miles south of Johnson City in south-central Blanco County. In 1853 pioneer stockmen engineered cabins on the Blanco stream close to the current site of the city and ready to defend themselves against the Indian attack. In 1854 the operators of the Pittsburgh Land Company, as well as Gen. John D. Pitts, A. M. Lindsey, F. W. Chandler, William E. Jones, and Capt. James H. Callahan purchased the league granted to Horace Eggleston by the government of Coahuila and Texas in 1835. They set out the town of Pittsburgh, named for General Pitts, across the river from the location of future Blanco. That very same year a Methodist Church was organized by circuit rider Daniel Rawls. The congregation met in a very log cabin engineered to resist Indian raids, that conjointly served as a faculty. The twin Sisters Masonic Lodge, organized at Curry’s Creek may be as early as 1856, moved to Pittsburgh around 1857.
When Blanco County was organized in 1858, and election placed the county seat across the river from Pittsburgh and named the town-site Blanco for the white stream. The Pittsburgh Land Company gave the new town a hundred and twenty acres of land. In 1858 a post workplace was established. Communication was briefly interrupted with the start of the civil war, but the people raised cash to bring mail once per week from New Braunfels to receive the war news. The First Baptist Church was organized in 1859. In 1860 the primary courthouse was engineered on the general public sq. by A. V. Gates for about $600.
In spite of hardships suffered throughout the war, the city continued to grow and by 1870 had four stores, a hotel, and a gin. The old union church, built-in 1871 at a value of $1,300, remained for several years in the middle of city life. It was used as a church by totally different denominations, as a school, and as a community meeting place. In 1874 the Masons pull up a charter for Blanco Masonic University. A foundation was set, however, the building was out of print due to the shortage of funds. A replacement courthouse of native stone was built in 1875 by Frederick E. and Oscar Ruffini, architects. In 1876 a
fire destroyed the Masonic lodge, the old courthouse, and every one of the county records.
In 1884 the citizens of Blanco shaped a joint-stock company to increase the capital necessary to build a high school. They elected board of directors and a president then applied for a charter for Blanco highschool under the Private Corporations Act. A two-story building was designed on the inspiration of the Masonic university. It opened in October 1884, and the top-notch graduated in 1887. In 1890, the town of Johnson won the county seat election while Blanco lost its position. The courthouse records were touched to Johnson City in 1891. The two cities interact in a sensible natured rivalry that began when the records were touched.
Blanco has been firstly treated as a ranch and a farm trade center and it had a population of 469 in 1904 and 1,100 by 1939, when the city was incorporated. By 1946 the city had forty businesses, a hospital, and a weekly newspaper, the Blanco County News. The population dropped in the 1940s to 453 before increasing once more in the 1950s. In 1980, the statistics estimated that there are 1,179 residents in Blanco. There have been 46 businesses present. In 1990, the population was 1,238 and in the year 2000, it grew to 1,505.